Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2008, 12:40 PM   #1
fattyratrat
Registered Member

Dyed Sebae Anemone?

I have read all kinds of things about dyed nems, and how horrible it is, and how the yellow sebae is a very common dyed nem, and i read this all after picking up one at the lfs... i don't however think mine is dyed.. but i havent found a straight answer on how to tell... I read somewhere that the foot part is also yellow if they are died, and mine isn't, mine is a dark deep orange/red... anyone can help me determine if he is dyed?

thanks...

fattyratrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2008, 01:33 PM   #2
seafansar
Registered Member

Condylactis anemones have a deep orange foot. I don't know how to determine if it's dyed though.

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
seafansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2008, 02:30 PM   #3
flasher1
Registered Member

do you have a picture of it?

Current Tank Info: Been out of the game for a while and a lot has changed. Doing my due diligence before I jump in the deep end
flasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2008, 04:33 PM   #4
fattyratrat
Registered Member

its not a condylactis, it is a heteractis.... i do have a picture, but i lost my card reader, but i will work on finding that..

Unread 06/15/2008, 08:44 PM   #5
garygb
Registered Member

If you have a bright yellow H. crispa, then you have a dyed anemone. Fortunately, they often lose the yellow dye in a few weeks and then regain the zooxanthellae, which are tannish, brown looking. Hopefully your anemone will "brown up."

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2008, 10:13 PM   #6
fattyratrat
Registered Member

Its not a H. crispa either. I think it is a Heteractis aurora or malu... i will see if i can't get some pix up here tomorro...

Unread 06/16/2008, 11:38 AM   #7
criccio
Premium Member

It's sound like you have a H. malu (commonly called a carnation anemone). These are not dyed because there are tan tentacles mixed in with the yellow ones (I had one as well), which I don't see how it could happen if they were dyed, and the obvious, a red foot. I don't know of anyone that has kept one long term though.

Not my pic or nem... http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...n-anemone2.jpg

Last edited by criccio; 06/16/2008 at 11:57 AM.
criccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 03:00 PM   #8
garygb
Registered Member

An anemone can be dyed and its red pigmentation still be present. The host anemones don't come in bright yellow. The closest thing to yellow would be a cream color.

Unread 06/16/2008, 03:33 PM   #9
delphinus
Registered Member

FWIW, host anemones can be yellow and not dyed. I have a yellow magnifica, and I've now seen with my own eyes bright banana yellow giganteas. I always thought the yellows were bleached greens but now I am not so sure.

The real trick though is uniformity. All of the hosting anemones that I've seen are not a uniform colour throughout. My magnifica is yellow-tipped, the base of the tentacles are pinkish and the pedal disk is tan. The carpets are yellow-tipped.

FWIW, I've only ever seen H. crispa dyed, and it's just obvious. Yellow from top to bottom. What I don't get though, is why yellow? And not say blue or purple. And who does it anyhow??? You'd think most people would know better by now.

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
delphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 03:38 PM   #10
garygb
Registered Member

Yes, I too have H. magnificas with yellow pigmentation on the tentacle tips, but I wouldn't call that a "yellow magnifica." I've seen other species besides crispa dyed, including very fake looking blue giganteas. Sometimes H. crispa are dyed an almost irridescent pink--fuschia actually, which also looks very fake. The dying is done, from what I've read, following collection and prior to the lfs dealer.

Unread 06/16/2008, 03:53 PM   #11
delphinus
Registered Member

Thing is, even though it's only the tips that are yellow, I can't really call this anything but yellow. The yellow is so striking that I can't notice anything else about the anemone. Except for maybe the size I guess (24" across these days).

As for the gigantea's ... I wasn't aware that gigantea's had been subjected to dye jobs. The yellows that I'm seeing and the blue that I just picked up, many people have told me they look dyed but it's only the tips. I thought that if they were dye jobs that the whole anemone would be that colour, not just the tips? (Notwithstanding any darker pigmentation .. but you wouldn't see, say, white on the anemone because wouldn't the white spots have picked up the dye?).

Unread 06/16/2008, 04:09 PM   #12
garygb
Registered Member

That is a beautiful magnifica, and it isn't the bright, fake looking yellow of a dyed crispa. I think the dye clears from different parts at different rates over a few weeks, from what I can tell. There is a shop here in Los Angeles that frequently has bright yellow sebaes, occasionally bright blue giganteas and fuschia sebaes.

Unread 06/16/2008, 04:13 PM   #13
garygb
Registered Member

Two of my H. mags are the same color as yours, as you might be able to see in my gallery, though the pics are small. Again, they don't look like the bright yellow of a dyed anemone.

Unread 06/16/2008, 04:33 PM   #14
delphinus
Registered Member

This is only 2?

Wow, I thought I had a big anemone, you just made me feel inadequate.

You need to find a way to show these suckers off that isn't a postage stamped sized photo.

I agree that the yellow of a non-dyed yellow isn't the same yellow of a dyed anemone. The dyed yellows look .. for lack of a better way to put it, "fake." But I just had to provide a counterpoint to the whole "hosting anemones don't come in yellow." They do but just not like the dyed ones come in I guess.

Unread 06/16/2008, 05:17 PM   #15
garygb
Registered Member

No, you can see three in that pic. One of the clones is front and center. My photography skills deficiency is only surpassed by my computer skills deficiency;-) I do now use photobucket and that has helped.

Unread 06/16/2008, 06:35 PM   #16
fattyratrat
Registered Member

that is what i have...

Unread 06/16/2008, 08:06 PM   #17
criccio
Premium Member

Unfortunately, the relavent thread here on RC is no longer available, why I don't know??? So I was trying to remember when I had mine, and I seem to remember that mine lost the red but not the yellow before I lost it. But did it die because of the red, or did it lose the red because it was dying??? Anyhow, good luck with yours, and here's a thread I remember on some one having luck with theirs in the hosting department... http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...ight=carnation

Last edited by criccio; 06/16/2008 at 08:13 PM.
criccio is offline   Reply With Quote