Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2010, 11:23 AM   #1
stormquest23
Registered Member

strawberry anemone

I have three small anemone looking things that just appeared in my tank. I am not sure where they came from since I haven't added any new rock to the tank and only picked up a couple of new corals from other posters on this board.

I don't have any pictures.............but they look like strawberry anemones. They are attractive, so are they good or bad?? I will try to take a picture when they open up. They are clear with white dots on the ends of their tentacles.

thanks

stormquest23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 11:27 AM   #2
TruReef
Registered Member

mojanos, get rid of soon or you will be overrun your tank.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180g mixed reef, 60" Sunpower 8 bulb, SRO-3000int
TruReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 02:24 PM   #3
fredendro
Moved On

i had they same thing about a year ago then after a while from one i had five. then a starfish ate them all but one, and i have six again lol if they look good to you then maybe just isolate the rock so it doesnt take over.

fredendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 04:50 PM   #4
bvysochin
Coral Hoarder :P

Is it open during the day or night?
I have something similar and it's not a mojano.
I know cuz I have one of those too. :/
Anyway a friend on here(majority rules) found this for me.
Mine is a Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum and looks similar to this and only opens at night.

Not much info on them but they aren't really considered that bad.

"Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.
The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known."

Hope this helps!

bvysochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 05:29 PM   #5
fredendro
Moved On

or it could be a jewel anemone, if you do a google search you will see what they look like. I also had one of these in my tank but it was all clear with white dots at the end of the tentacles.

Unread 04/10/2010, 05:45 PM   #6
psykokid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruReef View Post
mojanos, get rid of soon or you will be overrun your tank.
not necessarily. mojanos tend to be in my experience a lot less invasive than aiptasia.

Did it look like this:

If so then they are pretty benign..

Last edited by psykokid; 04/10/2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: jacked up img tag
psykokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 05:49 PM   #7
fredendro
Moved On

that is not a majano anemone thats a jewel anem

Unread 04/10/2010, 08:36 PM   #8
psykokid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredendro View Post
that is not a majano anemone thats a jewel anem
yes, i'm aware that they are not mojanos. I was responding to his comment about mojanos spreading like mad.

Im not sure that my photo is of a Jewel anemone (Corynactis viridis)
they tend to be colonial critters. And the Strawberry anemone (Corynactis californica) are colonial as well and temperate to boot so wouldn't do too good in standard reef temperatures. Im going to call it as some sort of Corynactis sp.

I have seen them pretty often in other reefers tanks, including in my own. I never see them in colonies always singular here and there.

psykokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 10:10 PM   #9
stormquest23
Registered Member

The three that are in my tank are all individuals. I moved one from the sand to a rock and it has not re-opened yet. I think they are attractive. I will try to get a picture and post it. Mine do look like the one that psykokid posted but more transparent.

Unread 04/11/2010, 04:44 AM   #10
saltyg135er
Registered Member

I think they are called ball nems. I have the same thing and posted it up on the nem forum. Can't find my thread right now but I have a pic in my thread too if you want to search.

saltyg135er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 12:00 PM   #11
marfuerte
Registered Member

I've had them a few years back. They never got big or grew like aptasisas or manjanos--mine were reddish/orange--they disappeared after a few months, don't know why. cool looking imo

marfuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 08:14 PM   #12
stormquest23
Registered Member

found some pictures online.......orange ball anemones. I moved one now it isn't doing well. The other two are in rocks too hard to take their picture. I like them I hope they survive.

Unread 04/14/2010, 11:15 AM   #13
RandyFolds
Reef Troll

Pseudocorynactis... They are azooanthelate, so you will need to feed them if you want them to thrive. They are coralimorphs.

RandyFolds is offline   Reply With Quote