Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2010, 09:18 PM   #1
bradleym
Registered Member

Hep Finding Pics of Green H. Crispa

First, I kinda want to gloat. You see, I got this guy one month ago today. Here he is just after acclimation. And BTW, yes I knew he was bleached, it was a rescue mission, lol.

And here he is a couple days ago, same spot never moved.

Second, and more to the point, he looks to be turning green. Well I did a google search for green sebaes and didn't find much, outside a few sites selling them, which I don't trust their pictures to be realistic.

So can anyone help me out with some pictures to give me an idea of what this guy's gonna look like when he gets all better? Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 09:54 PM   #2
bradleym
Registered Member

LOL I just noticed the typo. I meant "Help Finding Pics".

Unread 11/30/2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Nebthet
Registered Member

Very nice job on rescuing that sebae. I am in the process of doing the same thing with the one I have, but the healing has been taking longer as it was nearly on it last legs. My thread about it is in here some where. So I must congratulate you. You have done a great job.

In terms of an actual green sebae crispa, their natural colors are the tan brown with purple tipped tentacles, or a deeper purple color. But they also develop a nice green sheen to them (like some corals do when the floresce under actinics). This green sheen is not easily photographed. I have yet to come by one.

The only other green sebae you may come by is a bleached and dyed crispa or a malu which can be found with natural green coloration.

Nebthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 11:03 PM   #4
garygb
Registered Member

Nice looking anemone. Can't help with the pics, haven't seen green ones, only malu.

Just curious, is it attached to liverock directly or is its foot in sand?

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2010, 11:21 PM   #5
bradleym
Registered Member

Thanks guys! The green is actually more noticeable in person, just hard to photograph by cell phone. I am really surprised by how much green it has developed in just a month. It's actually more green than what I could find online, thus the thread.

Garygb - the rock under the anemone is about 3-4" tall and extends a few inches back, so I'm betting it can't reach the sand.

Unread 11/30/2010, 11:29 PM   #6
garygb
Registered Member

Yeah, that species is sometimes found with its base in the sand and sometimes attached to liverock.

Like you and Nebthet, I'm also trying my luck with a rescue. This one is pure white, not a speck of color on it. It was attached at the lfs, I had an empty 40 gallon that's been established for years, so I deliberated and ended up giving it a shot. It is very sticky, eats well, has buried into coral rubble that I put in a PVC pipe and attached to the bottom of the tank. I have it under a 150 watt MH, 10000K. It measure a good 8 or 9 inhes across. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've only had it 6 days so far. I hope a month out mine looks as healthy as yours.

Unread 11/30/2010, 11:40 PM   #7
bradleym
Registered Member

Awesome! Mine was the size of a half dollar in the first picture hahaha idk what I was thinking. I'll be looking for pics from both of you in the near future.

Unread 12/01/2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Jamie1210
Registered Member

wow, great job on the rescue ... curious, is it in your 29 gallon tank or the zero edge (as you wrote in your sig)

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 08:03 AM   #9
bradleym
Registered Member

Thanks jamie, its in the zeroedge. The 29 is pretty crowded already with 2 BTAs and another, bigger sebae.

Unread 12/01/2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Nebthet
Registered Member

This was my sebae when I first got in on 06-30-2010. It was really small, about the size of a silver dollar. The tentacles were all shrunk and it was white. Whiter than this pic shows and it took forever for it to attach it's foot. The tentacles were barely sticky.

This is the same sebae as of 10-20-2010. It has more than doubled in size and has been slowly gaining it's color back. The clowns like to take the food away from the sebae when I feed it, so I am in the process of finding a small crate to put around it at feeding time for a while to help prevent that.

Unread 12/01/2010, 04:28 PM   #11
bradleym
Registered Member

Looks like its doing well. Just an idea that worked for me, if you feed it something the clowns don't like you can feed it freely. I use silversides ripped into small pieces in the 29g because the clowns there steal the meal if I use mysis.

Unread 12/01/2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Nebthet
Registered Member

Actually I do feed it stuff the clowns don't like, such as finely chopped up squid. But if they see it in the sebae before it gets a chance to put it in it's mouth, they will take it away and spit it out elsewhere. It is such a pain in the butt.

Unread 12/01/2010, 09:58 PM   #13
phender
Registered Member

I had a sebae (H. crispa) for almost 20 years. It had a green oral disk, but the green didn't go up the tentacles very far. It did have green tentacle tips though instead of the normal purple. Like yours the pic only catches a hint of the actual green color.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gSebaeSize.jpg (41.3 KB, 64 views)

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2010, 10:11 PM   #14
bradleym
Registered Member

Thanks! That's a great picture too. Gawd, these things get huge lol. I keep forgetting. But I knew there had to be some out there cuz mine is really not even very brown anymore.

Unread 12/01/2010, 10:17 PM   #15
Nebthet
Registered Member

No kididng.. yours looks like it is going to be a really nice deep purple with the green sheen to it.

Unread 12/01/2010, 10:36 PM   #16
bradleym
Registered Member

Here's hoping! Its tentacles are way green, but the purple is still a little brown. To be honest though I'll be ecstatic if the green just keeps coming with the tentacles. It's almost as bright as a GBTA.

Unread 12/03/2010, 05:33 PM   #17
garygb
Registered Member

Here's my bleached sebae:

Unread 12/03/2010, 09:30 PM   #18
bradleym
Registered Member

Whoa that IS a biggun! Looks happy though. Just out of curiosity, why is it in a tube? Why not on the rockwork?

Unread 12/04/2010, 04:10 PM   #19
garygb
Registered Member

I put it in a PVC pipe and let it dig in to about 2 inches of coral rubble, then I added enough to almost fill the pipe, ~5 inches. Not on the rock work because I don't have a lot of liverock in that tank and sebaes live either with their column buried in sand/rubble or on the liverock. The tank has a shallow sand bed and I wanted something deeper for it to dig into, thus the PVC pipe. I also chose rubble rather than fine sand because I have read that are found in nature in coarse sand/rubble.

It's really bleached, but sticky and eats well. It's foot actually goes to the bottom of the tank and is attached under the PVC pipe to the back of the aquarium, where I can see it attached to the back of the tank. I'm supplying it with 150 watts of MH, 10000K (brand new XM bulbs), sg 1.026, and undetectable nitrates--along with feeding it almost daily. Time will tell if it recovers its zooxanthellae. It was a rescue, of course. I suspect it was dyed yellow and then lost all its dye only to be stark white. There was another anemone in the tank that still had a hint of yellow. I told the lfs owner that the anemone was bleached, to which he replied, "bleached, what does that mean?" I explained how the anemone naturally should have a brownish color from algae that lives inside. The anemone appeared to be attached in the lfs tank, so, I thought I would give it a go since I had an established tank with nothing in it but a couple of skunks.

BTW Brad, yesterday I saw another sebae that looked exactly like the one you have--the one that could double as a ritteri. I assumed it was a mag until I realized that it was digging into the sand and had pronounced verracue/leather looking column which is characteristic of crispa.

Unread 12/04/2010, 08:10 PM   #20
bradleym
Registered Member

I always love it when you try to inform a LFS about a bad habit and they look at you like you have 2 heads and you can see they're thinking about blowing you off. Had that happen locally with a bunch of baby blue LTAs. I got real excited about owning one until I looked it up on here. To this day I think they still think it's from feeding dyed food and not the bleaching/dying process.

Anyway, if anyone's gonna bring that sebae back I'd bet on you.

I am waiting til the tentacle tips lose the white on that other nem before I update the thread but its definitely a sebae. It has just about doubled in size and lays out like a bed of seagrass. But no green so if I had to pick one... JK.

Unread 12/04/2010, 09:09 PM   #21
garygb
Registered Member

Glad to hear the sebae is doing well. I'm not sure the tentacle tips will lose the white. In the one I saw yesterday, it didn't look like bleaching, but natural pigmentation. It looked identical to the pics of yours.

Unread 12/04/2010, 11:34 PM   #22
bradleym
Registered Member

Lol, and after all that talk of nursing it back to good health and good color. Well its got its health back at least that's for sure.

Unread 12/16/2010, 11:13 AM   #23
bradleym
Registered Member

Update and Bump!

Definitely a keeper. Seeing it at night under actinics is making me want to change my setup to 20K

Unread 12/16/2010, 03:53 PM   #24
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

This is a good example of how quickly anemones can recover from shipping stress once placed in a good environment. Well done!