Nerite Snails - Friends? Or Mating?

So this is the second time (picture attached of first and second time), I found my Nerite snails on top of each other. Is this normal? Are they friends or mating? I have no salt in my water right now. So sorry for the algae in pics. It’s a work in progress for this new fish tank hobbyist. 

IMG_4963.jpeg

IMG_4819.jpeg

They can mate and lay eggs in freshwater, it is just you can't grow their eggs to actual babies.

Do you notice any deformation on each others shells? Sometimes, when they lack calcium, they nib on each others shell for calcium intake. Or, they can be just cleaning algae from each others shells too. Another option is mating as you've mentioned, however in these pics, they don't seem to be mating to me.

Ok, thanks! I haven’t had them super long but my well water is liquid rock (except I do have driftwood). The tests always show  that it’s hard and I get calcium deposits on lots of stuff in my tank. I’m not sure what deformations look like as I’ve never seen one but their shells look fine. 
I’ll watch for eggs just in case. Not sure how they find each other. Do they have eyes?

On 6/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

Ok, thanks! I haven’t had them super long but my well water is liquid rock (except I do have driftwood). The tests always show  that it’s hard and I get calcium deposits on lots of stuff in my tank. I’m not sure what deformations look like as I’ve never seen one but their shells look fine. 
I’ll watch for eggs just in case. Not sure how they find each other. Do they have eyes?

Don’t worry then. Just monitor the shell situation and new growth on the shells and see how it goes. From the pics their shell looks nice as it is!

The erosion looks like this to give a clue. Usually due to low ph, or being nibbed on

C28F521C-9BC5-4870-9E4A-083EA7CE9483.jpeg.866067b9e7e5b056e3d0216b2a77cbb6.jpeg

They do have eyes. Also antennas help a lot to snails to feel surroundings and find their way.

You can actually sex them If you can see it, but it is hard.

image.png.98c2c1988684f794d8f11cd64d832563.png

Nerite Snails – Detailed Guide: Care, Diet and Breeding - Shrimp and Snail  Breeder

eggs will be laid by females everywhere. But you won't get babies.

They are kinda hard to remove and usually laid on driftwood, rocks, sometimes around heater, and glass. 

The eggs look like white sesame seeds:

nerite snail eggs in freshwater? i thought they only bred in saltwater? :  r/Aquariums

Edited by Lennie