Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strange sightings on the Orb Vallis

Takanuva0510

Saw some strange stuff when I went out to the vallis to go mining. Not sure if this is a glitch or not, but wanted to put it somewhere. (sorry about the image sizes, not really familiar with uploading images to the site.)Screenshot-161.pngScreenshot-163.pngScreenshot-165.pngScreenshot-166.png

Edit: Realized that I forgot to say what happened that led to this. I had accidentally queued into public while going out mining, and wanted to leave to go to solo. Before I could leave, I got a host migration, and when the game finished loading this is what greeted me.

Edited by Takanuva0510

Ayy, that's the rock/ice from early concept art that never showed up in Vallis, or haven't so far at least.

I searched around about it some time ago and there are a lot of speculations about it. Seems to be part of the whole terraforming. There might be something about it in the codex, but I haven't scanned all that stuff yet so I don't know. 

7ng1zs2m1s221.png 

Good find!

Edited by SirTobe

12 minutes ago, Genitive said:

Seems to be a glitch. This place can definitely be seen through the clouds, but nothing like that happens. It looks like the storm around the Vallis doesn't render properly and you can see beyond the map.

You are probably right about the not rendering the storm correctly, since when I went up to the edge of the map I was still pushed back by the wind, but could still see this image.

The main reason I found this odd was once I got close to any object I thought wasn’t rendering properly, like mini map range, it would have the proper texture, but when I approached this specific portion on the wind wall, the usual whiteout didn’t show up. 

At at the end of the day I haven’t been able to replicate this yet, but I am sure as hell gonna try.

4 hours ago, SirTobe said:

Ayy, that's the rock/ice from early concept art that never showed up in Vallis, or haven't so far at least.

I searched around about it some time ago and there are a lot of speculations about it. Seems to be part of the whole terraforming. There might be something about it in the codex, but I haven't scanned all that stuff yet so I don't know. 

7ng1zs2m1s221.png 

Good find!

That's what I thought too, it does look like the floating iceberg, plus same sky coloring

10 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

That's what I thought too, it does look like the floating iceberg, plus same sky coloring

Yea, I had to check for myself. The highlighting red sky is intentional and constant at any time of the day/night. The cloudy storms go around it, so it is always visible, even from the opposite side of the map. That thing is definitely intentionally placed out there, considering it's an actual object long past the borders where it's otherwise just basic terrain and the skydome. There's also no flickering or anything like that, which would be a usual sign of something that is only partly rendered. 

There is another red opening in the sky just like it up north east, but I can't spot any floating stuff there, just some distant mountains.I took a lap around the whole Vallis too but couldn't spot anything else.

Here's another screenshot. This is taken as close to the border as possible, and with maxed graphic settings. It likely becomes more visible as in OP if lowering some settings, but meh. The fake "sun" doesn't change the lighting. I just waited for it to see if it would do any difference. The scope can't measure distance porperly past the border, so that number means nothing.

6ZRLLJa.jpg

56 minutes ago, SirTobe said:

Yea, I had to check for myself. The highlighting red sky is intentional and constant at any time of the day/night. The cloudy storms go around it, so it is always visible, even from the opposite side of the map. That thing is definitely intentionally placed out there, considering it's an actual object long past the borders where it's otherwise just basic terrain and the skydome. There's also no flickering or anything like that, which would be a usual sign of something that is only partly rendered. 

There is another red opening in the sky just like it up north east, but I can't spot any floating stuff there, just some distant mountains.I took a lap around the whole Vallis too but couldn't spot anything else.

Here's another screenshot. This is taken as close to the border as possible, and with maxed graphic settings. It likely becomes more visible as in OP if lowering some settings, but meh. The fake "sun" doesn't change the lighting. I just waited for it to see if it would do any difference. The scope can't measure distance porperly past the border, so that number means nothing.

6ZRLLJa.jpg

Why is it so far away though?

8 hours ago, Takanuva0510 said:

Saw some strange stuff when I went out to the vallis to go mining. Not sure if this is a glitch or not, but wanted to put it somewhere. (sorry about the image sizes, not really familiar with uploading images to the site.)Screenshot-161.pngScreenshot-163.pngScreenshot-165.pngScreenshot-166.png

Edit: Realized that I forgot to say what happened that led to this. I had accidentally queued into public while going out mining, and wanted to leave to go to solo. Before I could leave, I got a host migration, and when the game finished loading this is what greeted me.

The amazing sighting is not a glitch. I have seen it before like only twice out of so many times I’ve visited the Valllis. It does look amazingly spectacular. I don’t know what that is and when does it show up. It’s a very very rare event.

1 hour ago, VotumPrime said:

All this reminds me of the first time Plague Star was introduced and we could see the infested meteor coming towards the plains in the distance.

If it is part of the old terraforming then I guess they could be floating all over Venus. Just not in the middle of Orb Vallis, yet. Apparently Geoff have mentiond in a devstream that they are saving those for some future update. May be part of the final Orb Boss or the Sentient invasion. 

Here's an older thread about it all. I've only been playing for 14 months, so I wasn't digging around much in the pre-release info and teasers back then.