Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Skywatcher EQ 6 R

Les Ewan

Finally upgraded to a GOTO mount in form of the Skywatcher EQ 6 R. After a hour or so I've manged to polar align accurately enough for imaging with a DSLR. In prime focus I can manage DSO's up to a minute exposure time at 1600 ISO before any sign of tracking error.

I feel it needs a bit more tweaking for longer exposures but for visual observations the tracking is more than good enough even with a short focus eyepiece giving a power of 300X with objects pretty much centred in the eyepiece even after returning from making a cup of tea!

I'm not really interested in going beyond SLR single shot astro photography anyway,as long as I can run up descent star points with  up to 2 minutes exposure time I'll be quite happy.

As for the GOTO I need a little more time to get the wrinkles out as even after 3 star alignments its not that accurate but again no great problem as I'm used to and kind of like star hopping. But as Ive got it I would like to get it working properly (with advice from here I hope) but there's no hurry as  the vital for me is easy,sturdy and accurate tracking which the EQ 6 R after only an hour already provides.

BTW telescope is also new its a f5 300 Skywatcher and I include is a couple of images taken with the set up at prime focus 45sec exposure,ISO 1600 of the Dumbbell Nebula and nebulosity around Merope and Maya.

DSCN0001.JPG

Dumbbell150918.jpg

M45nity230918.jpg

That's a beast of a scope !!!!

Olympic weight-lifting attempt to get it on there I'm guessing? 

Does it have a Vixen style dovetail  ??   The ones I have seen advertised have.  It seems a bit thin and half hearted in terms of spec.  Get a beefy Losmandy one and put the Vixen on the opposite side of the rings, it will make everything feel a bit more rigid, and you can use the Vixen as a kind of handle.   ( I've done this with my SW Quattro 250mm ).

The stars on the Pleiades shot are very sharp for a shot without an auto-guider.  Good luck with the imaging.

Sean.

HI Sean,

Yes it has a wide Losmandy dovetail. The tube weighs in at 26 Kilos so its no lightweight,but as its going to be permanently sited that's no problem. It must be said I'm getting conflicting views on line on whether this OTA is too heavy for the EQ6. Reactions to Youtube videos of the same setup as mine are not favourable in that regard,however Ive seen Ebay  300mmf5/EQ6 configurations for sale as kits and even advertised on Skywatcher product leaflets with as many as 4 counter weights attached(mine has 3). My rig is certainly over loaded as recommended for imaging but as I'm not into astro photography to deeply I'm not that fussed.Everything seems to be running OK at the moment,however I'll keep a eye and ear out for any unusual wear and tear.

Thanks for the comments and advice.I have a day off today and the weather is nice so I'll try different weight position combinations in the daylight. I have plenty of odd jobs to do in the house,but to hang its much more fun out in the fresh air and the Sun playing with telescopes!?

• 3 weeks later...

61Cygni141018.thumb.JPG.b1fcc784e0ca626ff0bde38d871c16d6.JPGM27141018.thumb.JPG.6ac8438a09139a324194423e2426804b.JPGHI All

I've been doing some tweaking and got the 300P-DS, EQ6R system working a lot better since my last post. Improvements to polar alignment has meant that I can get almost 2 minute exposures at prime focus with my DSLR before any tracking error shows itself.Also the GOTO is functioning a lot better to with the Synscan 4, within a 21mm eyepiece FOV (70X) with just a one star alignment. This is my first GOTO (something Ive always been apposed to)and its already made me lazy using it to take me to M27 and Uranus.

Ive included a couple of images of M27 and 61 Cygni.Taken on the 14th October.

M27..........90 sec exposure at 800ISO

61 Cygni....8 sec exposure at 800ISO

Regards Les.

Thanks for the advice Mike,

The synscan really makes imaging a lot easier I got this image of the Blue Snowball after it centred it in the viewer of my DSLR which was attached to a 21mm eyepiece.Sorry for going on about it but this is all new to me.The trouble with the system however is that you have to keep using it or you lose the alignment  and then get into the ridiculous situation of using a it to go to the Moon.

IMG_0191.JPG

Archived