Pod Your Reef

What is this crab I found

skillplyr55

I found this what looks to be a crab in a piece of my rock I know the pic isnt the best but could somone please tell me what it is and if it is asfe or not for my corals if its bad then plz tell me how to catch it everytime I try he just hides thanks........

post-23954-1170813695_thumb.jpg

kinda hard to tell from the pic you took, but I would take two guesses. It's either a gorilla crab (the crab does look pretty "furry" all over), or a brown mithrax. A better picture would help, preferably with a good view of the claws and if you could somehow make the picture more focussed so I could see whether the "hair" is all over the crab or not.

Because of the quality of the picture (no offense, I have trouble too), it's hard to say....but those would be my two best guesses based on the picture.

Brandon

Yeah I know the pic was bad I just had to flash it on a dark tank thats the only way to get him I will add that he is quite hairy on his legs are either one of those harmful thanks for the fast reply

avalanche1201

a mithrax crab isnt, if its a gorilla crab its bad. they look like this: db_37_gorillacrab-patsan.jpg

try to catch him and get rid of him...or stab him w/ a chopstick. Or if u really want to keep him throw him into your sump so he cant get anything in your main tank

Be wary of mithrax crabs. Some species are omnivores armed with multi-purpose claws for any moving prey. Don't be fooled by the "spoons" on the claw tips. I had a so-called "black" emerald which ate an expensive orchid dottyback.

Here's a link:

Black Emerald Crab

All crabs should be treated with suspicion, with the exception of small hermits and porcelain crabs.

I found this what looks to be a crab in a piece of my rock I know the pic isnt the best but could somone please tell me what it is and if it is asfe or not for my corals if its bad then plz tell me how to catch it everytime I try he just hides thanks........

Gorilla, get rid of it if you can.

They are harder than heck to catch (I should know, I have gotten about a dozen so far). I use a hard metal rod to stab them, but be carefull, they learn to avoid it.

Put some food on the rod, or better yet some loooong tweezers (I have 12") to get them used to being fed with it.......then STAB them to death! They still might move at the last second, so have another rod ready, one to hold, one to mash.

You need to get it out, I've got a real monster (big as a silver dollar) in my refug. He is VERY aggressive when I feed him, so anything in the same tank is in DANGER.

Good luck

Lee

thanks for the replies I am really leaning towards the gorilla I am going to go with SHARPS45 on this one and construct me a metal rod and DEATH tommorrow and see if I can get him this morning I noticed some munching going on to one of my zoos thats by his hole I will let you all know how it goes.....

thanks for the replies I am really leaning towards the gorilla I am going to go with SHARPS45 on this one and construct me a metal rod and DEATH tommorrow and see if I can get him this morning I noticed some munching going on to one of my zoos thats by his hole I will let you all know how it goes.....

If you don't have any other critters (snails or hermits) you can try the "leaning shot glass" trick. I've had good luck with that.

Duncan is right.....have two spears ready. I thought I had one mashed, but he was just pinned, when I let off, he was gone (minus one of his big claws). I see him every couple of days, when I feed the rest of the tank, but I can't get him.

Lee

Archived