Baby crab... Good or bad?

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181127_164901.jpg
I found this little dude hanging out of a hole in my TBS live rock today. He's about the size of a pencil eraser. Can anyone ID him? I'm thinking maybe a baby gorilla crab, in which case catching him is gonna suck till he gets bigger... At least I know what hole he's hiding in now though!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Gorilla crab, don’t sweat it he is to small to do any real damage and you can eventually catch them.. after a while they get comfortable and come out exploring then just scoop them up with net. I have caught a bunch of them from my fla rock.

OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Gorilla crab, don’t sweat it he is to small to do any real damage and you can eventually catch them.. after a while they get comfortable and come out exploring then just scoop them up with net. I have caught a bunch of them from my fla rock.

Really? That's reassuring then. He's the 4th one I've found so far. The other 3 never made it into the tank since I caught them in the shipping bags first. I've been setting a pest trap for the last few days but it keeps getting emptied without catching anyone. Now that I see how tiny this guy is I'm guessing he and any friends he may have are the culprits... They're probably just walking right between the one way curtain tines :p !

OP
OP
Luananeko

Luananeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any crab that is hairy usually is a bad crab, I had my fair share of bad crabs, now I don't let any crab enter my tank except Acro Crabs and few hermit crabs

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of... Sadly it seems the TBS rock has TONS of these little dudes hiding in every crevice. It seems impossible to find them all beforehand without risking killing the sponges in a freshwater/seltzer tip or holding it in the air while poking at every hole. Catching them after the fact when they get larger seems like the only option.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back