coloured Heteractis?!

schnute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
to me has struck that also my coloured crispas have a white underside.My brown H.malu is also brown on the underside.Does somebody also have coloured H.crispa,and can say me like the H.crispa on the underside looks?
And how does it look to the malu? Who has a malu?
mix40.gif

Pigs would be nice.
Thanks Gabi
nm 169-002.jpg
green 016.jpg

OP
OP
schnute

schnute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gi20.gif

Iwould know only whether neck and foot of the red,green,mauve,brown...crispas is always white.Is not to be distinguished easily malu and crispa.
Or is mind sobad in english?
wirr1.gif

come from germany
mx35.gif

@ revsgirl:
lol1.gif

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schnute would you mind posting your original question in Deutsche? I speak a little, VERY little, but I'll probably understand it better than your english and if not I will have a close friend translate your question and my answer back to you. (May take a day or two, with the time differential, work and all).

OP
OP
schnute

schnute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so badley?
I see:pigs would be nice
I meant: pics
mx35.gif
mx35.gif
mx35.gif
sorry!
@ Adam Jackson:eek:k,ich möchte wissen,ob alle Farbigen Heteractis crispa auf der Unterseite weiß sind. Ich versuche Hinweise zu finden,um besser zwischen crispa und malu unterscheiden zu können.Meine malu hat eine braune Unterseite.
thanks Adam

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scnute I'm sure your english would be fine if we were talking in person, english is a difficult language to write out, lots of non-sensical rules and exceptions in spelling that doesn't happen with a lot of other latin based languages. I will forward your post to my friend and then have her translate my english answer to Deutsch and get back to you as soon as I can.

In the meantime, perhaps you can use a web browser to translate this info here;

HeteracCrispa

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very nice page and I understand some of it jeje. Already answered your question just waiting on my friends translation, I'm not that great when it comes to verb conjugation and certain nouns. She on the other hand is a German born and majors in linguistics and speaks 7 languages, so I defer to her this time, but hopefully not too much longer at least with German

Adam.Jackson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey scnute she has not had the opportunity with her spotty internet connection to translate my response so I will post it here in English for now;

H. crispa comes from the northern Indian ocean (India, Sri Lanka, Maldives) and unlike H. malu most H. crispa have a pretty uniform column and pedicle it is not nearly as smooth, being dotted with “wart like” spots toward the edge, the base is typically more broad as well being cream/eggshell white colored. As far as refering to a colored H. crispa, they should all be densly packed with almost uniform length tentacles ending in a pink tip. The common “un colored” H. crispa sold are bleached (not in good health). If you locate a yellow specimen with a matching yellow column, this indicates a dyed individual and should be avoided.

I find the best way (if you are having difficulty identifying a H. malu from H. crispa) is via the shape, smoothness of the pedicle, and it’s color. H. Malu typically has a more narrow slender column which is pale cream in color, but may also range in color from . It’s tentacles in comparison to H. Crispa tend to be less dense and often shorter stubby appearance with radial ring markings that are purple to magenta tipped. H. Malu range is typically in Austrailia and the Eastern Pacific Ocean, in shallower areas with a coarse substrate.

So to recap that I would first start with looking at the column and then the collection area, these should be your two largest indicators. Hope this has helped.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back