Snail eggs progress

kobibm13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried all the eggs will hatch? They started developing a yellowish color in the middle and there are tones of them all over the tank

20160622_113405.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scrape them off. They dissolve after awhile and leave these little circles that can be hard to scrape off. This is the reason I don't keep the large textured version of nerites, as the eggs are larger, get everywhere to be an eyesore and are much harder to get off. The little smooth ones I love and don't lay too many eggs. They won't live past this stage.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 50 or more of those eggs on my back glass. Most of them have hatched and now have a lot of really small nerite snails on the glass and rocks. They might be an eye sore for about a week and a half, then they hatch. I don't mind them, it is the circle of life in the tank.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure their nerites? Often little snails in aquariums are hitchhiking collonista snails. I have yet to see a thread where the nerites have been successful without doing anything. When ProjectDibs was up and running, they couldn't even raise them in specialized tanks.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

I haven't been able to get them in focus with the iPad they are so small, but they are growing.

Last edited:

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the collonistas, I love them, very cute and definitely breed in the aquarium! I think I had read about some species beyond collonistas that could potentially breed in the aquarium, but I don't know if it was true or which species they were referring to. I personally haven't had anything other than collonistas and stomatellas breed in my aquariums, but they are very cool too!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how they got in everything was dry. The only thing added were the snails and 3 fish. I have no corals yet. I have not added anything in around six months. They are welcome though if they keep the tank clean. I was waiting till they got bigger. There are hundreds of them. In my previous tank I never had these, but I had hermit crabs so they might not have survived in there.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank that has a lot of them was also dry rock and has no corals. It's crazy how these things find their way. They may have come in with your clean up crew. I have a super small variety where I had to put them under a microscope to see what they were. Check in the wee hours of the morning around dawn.... you're in for a surprise. If not yet, soon. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back