TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Need help identifying this intake manifold please.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kersplat J T
South West, TN, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
Will it fit my '77 1500? Would love to use the HS2's. Thanks for any input!

Initializing Built In Test...Waiting...Waiting...Testing... ...Number 3 Variable But Functionally Equal.

Attachments:
DSCN0001.JPG    37.6 KB
DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
. Become a Supporting Member to hide this ad & support a small business
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Gold Member Steven Zantop
GARLAND, TX, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "BLUBRY"
If it came off a Spit 1500 head - it will fit your 77 head.... All are interchangeable....

What engine do you have - what engine did they come off of....

From a "snapshot" perspective.... buy them they will fit!!! (though I, for one, wouldn't put SU's on my 1500).... LOL.... If you don't know me - just wait - others will chime in and tell you why.... LOL

SU's are fine.... work great and many love them...... I'm not downgrading them.... Just not my cup of tea......

Z

Yes No Thank
TriumphOverAll Silver Member Lee Jay
Steamboat Springs, CO, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
That is the intake from a 1968 or 1969 Spitfire MK3 1296 CC. It will fit 1970 to 1972 Spitfire 1296 cc and Spitfire 1500 cc engines. The 1500 cc engine was also put into MG Midgets from 1975 on (Spridgets). The carbs are SU HS2 sidedrafts. The European version of this intake for the 1500 cc is twin SU HS4 carbs. The HS2 are 1 1/4 throat diameter and the HS4 are 1 1/2 throat diameter.

+5 Yes No Thank
  spitfire50 and Herald948 thanked TriumphOverAll for this post
. Become a Supporting Member to hide this ad & support a small business
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
TheZster , The setup came with the car. I have no idea what they were on. It has dgv weber on it now but I'm looking for the full Triumph experiencespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Initializing Built In Test...Waiting...Waiting...Testing... ...Number 3 Variable But Functionally Equal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-09 04:46 PM by kersplat.

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
Good info. Thanks! Off to look for rebuild kits.

In reply to # 1840809 by TriumphOverAll That is the intake from a 1968 or 1969 Spitfire MK3 1296 CC. It will fit 1970 to 1972 Spitfire 1296 cc and Spitfire 1500 cc engines. The 1500 cc engine was also put into MG Midgets from 1975 on (Spridgets). The carbs are SU HS2 sidedrafts. The European version of this intake for the 1500 cc is twin SU HS4 carbs. The HS2 are 1 1/4 throat diameter and the HS4 are 1 1/2 throat diameter.

Yes No Thank
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Gold Member Steven Zantop
GARLAND, TX, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "BLUBRY"
In reply to # 1840813 by kersplat TheZster , The setup came with the car. I have no idea what they were on. It has dgv weber on it now but I'm looking for the full Triumph experiencespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Much as I hate to admit it - being a hard core Weber fan - ridding yourself of the DGV and going with the dual SU's... is a good move..... I'm at a point that I would only recommend the DGV conversion to those with a Single ZS from the 80's....

I'll put my DCOE's up against anything made.... but recognize the limitations of that damn Swan Neck intake for the DGV....

Z

Yes No Thank
teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
Did you get any more linkage than what is shown in the photo?

Recommend rebuilding one carb at a time so parts are not mixed.

Good luck!

Mike

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Sign in to contact
In reply to # 1840814 by kersplat Good info. Thanks! Off to look for rebuild kits.

In reply to # 1840809 by TriumphOverAll That is the intake from a 1968 or 1969 Spitfire MK3 1296 CC. It will fit 1970 to 1972 Spitfire 1296 cc and Spitfire 1500 cc engines. The 1500 cc engine was also put into MG Midgets from 1975 on (Spridgets). The carbs are SU HS2 sidedrafts. The European version of this intake for the 1500 cc is twin SU HS4 carbs. The HS2 are 1 1/4 throat diameter and the HS4 are 1 1/2 throat diameter.

JT,
Go to Joe Curto for rebuild kits. He can also advise you on metering needle selection for your 1500 since HS2s never came on that engine the needles will be different than those for a MK3.
As far as being careful not to swap parts from carb to carb the things that must be kept as sets are the suction chambers and pistons inside them. Those parts are matched and mixing pistons with other suction chambers often will jam or fail the drop test.
The fuel supply pipes on the float chamber lids aren't the usual set-up. One carb usually has two fuel pipe connections, one going in and one going to the other carb. That set seems to have only one for each carb. The second pipe connection on each is the vent for the float chamber which is intended to connect to the charcoal canister.
Do yourself a favor and check that the float chambers have AUC2140 cast into them. Float chambers with AUD 13?? are from MG midgets or Austin Healey Sprites and attach to the body of the carb at a different height. With them it is almost impossible to get the mixture adjusted correctly on a Spitfire.
All the best,
Paul

TRF# 10423

Yes No Thank
  kersplat thanked spitfire50 for this post
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
Woa! Thanks for the heads up! They are 1310's. You just saved me a ton of grief- Thanks!

In reply to # 1840844 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1840814 by kersplat Good info. Thanks! Off to look for rebuild kits.

JT,
Go to Joe Curto for rebuild kits. He can also advise you on metering needle selection for your 1500 since HS2s never came on that engine the needles will be different than those for a MK3.
As far as being careful not to swap parts from carb to carb the things that must be kept as sets are the suction chambers and pistons inside them. Those parts are matched and mixing pistons with other suction chambers often will jam or fail the drop test.
The fuel supply pipes on the float chamber lids aren't the usual set-up. One carb usually has two fuel pipe connections, one going in and one going to the other carb. That set seems to have only one for each carb. The second pipe connection on each is the vent for the float chamber which is intended to connect to the charcoal canister.
Do yourself a favor and check that the float chambers have AUC2140 cast into them. Float chambers with AUD 13?? are from MG midgets or Austin Healey Sprites and attach to the body of the carb at a different height. With them it is almost impossible to get the mixture adjusted correctly on a Spitfire.
All the best,
Paul

Yes No Thank
Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, UT, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Hershey"    & more
JT,

In reply to # 1840796 by kersplat Will it fit my '77 1500? Would love to use the HS2's. Thanks for any input!

Thanks for the parts. That MkIII manifold will need a Smith's valve or rigging a catch can system.

Here's a set for reference. BTW ... those float cover lids are 1962-68 MGB SU HS4. I have the correct ones
if you need them.

DaveInUtah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-09 11:04 PM by Outfect.

Attachments:
C.jpg    51.4 KB
C.jpg

Yes No Thank
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
Yeah, you could fangle a 'T' upstream of the float chambers to split the fuel distribution to the lids on the setup you have.
But the float bowls are different for HS2 vs HS4, due to carb body size differences, their attachment point is in a different
location in order to deliver fuel at the required level to the jet inside the carb.

That may be the reason why the PO fitted a DGV, after failing to get the HS2 setup to work properly.
I'd say give your current setup a try before replacing the lids (unless you can get the correct ones at a good price).

As for the Smith's valve and plumbing, the DGV and manifold offered no such functionality, so check to see if the PO
fabbed any kind of crankcase ventilation setup. If you can find the Smith's valve for your HS2 setup, it will
be worthwhile.

There are many, many, many posts here on the subject of crankcase ventilation.

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
So it looks like my choices are: A) Find a dual SU setup from a 1300 Spitfire, cool smiley Find 2 SU's with AUC2140 cast on the float chambers and use my manifold, or C) Keep the Weber. Thanks for all of the helpful info! Outfect, Glad the parts got there ok.

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Sign in to contact
JT,
The float chambers are a separate part so if you can find a set you can swap them onto the bodies of the carbs you have. Dave B. says he has the float chamber lids he might have the chambers too.
All the best,
Paul

TRF# 10423

Yes No Thank
Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, UT, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Hershey"    & more
JT,

In reply to # 1840796 by kersplat Will it fit my '77 1500? Would love to use the HS2's. Thanks for any input!

Are those float bowls AUC 1310 or AUD 2140? I have all the parts to make that setup original again.

DaveInUtah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-10 12:02 PM by Outfect.

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
They are AUC 1310. Is that a fix for the tuning issue that Spitfire50 mentioned? Edit: I see it looks like they will.

In reply to # 1840942 by Outfect JT,

Are those float bowls AUC 1310 or AUD 2140? I have all the parts to make that setup original again.

DaveInUtah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-10 12:14 PM by kersplat.

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

or

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club
Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features
Your Cars
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
Text Size
Larger Smaller
Reset Save