AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kersplat J T
South West, TN, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
The Prius took me 2 1/2 hours. Spitfire about 15 mins.eye popping smiley

Initializing Built In Test...Waiting...Waiting...Testing... ...Number 3 Variable But Functionally Equal.

Attachments:
DSCN0001.JPG    37.1 KB
DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG    65.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
. Become a Supporting Member to hide this ad & support a small business
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Sign in to contact
J.T.
But the Prius only needs them in what? 100 K miles? If so you will spend about the same amount of time over that mileage.
All the best,
Paul

TRF# 10423

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
True that! Many more fasteners involved though. And numerous opportunities to loose a 10mm socket.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes No Thank
. Become a Supporting Member to hide this ad & support a small business
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
In reply to # 1983834 by spitfire50 J.T.
But the Prius only needs them in what? 100 K miles? If so you will spend about the same amount of time over that mileage.
All the best,
Paul

Depends on what plugs are used.
Plugs don't really 'wear out', the electrodes erode, and deposits accumulate that cause ignition misfires.

The Prius has higher CR, makes more HP, higher RPM redline, operates at higher engine temperatures, with leaner mixtures and higher spark voltage.
All factors that tend to erode spark plug electrodes and accumulate more plug deposits, that lead to misfires.

The difference is plugs designed in 1950's using the materials and technology of the day to meet contemporary needs and consumer expectations,
vs
plugs designed 50 years later using modern materials and technology to meet EPA fuel system durability laws and consumer expectations.

A modern ignition system can reliably fire plugs that would leave a car with conventional ignition parked on the side of the road.

For example, my 1999 Ford EDIS ignition system equipped truck developed an intermittent miss at around 110K miles.
When I finally removed the original spark plugs, the gaps had eroded to more than 100 thou, about 1/8", so fitting new plugs fixed the issue.

Sure, you can just re-adjust the gaps, but when it takes a lot of time and effort to get at them to remove the plugs,
IMHO it's a 'false economy' to not just replace them at that point.

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
Toyota says replace the plugs at 120k. They are non adjustable iridium spark plugs. I'm doing what the manufacturer recommends on this car. The Triumph, Hell if it sputters, may need the points cleaned, might be the plugs, could be the carbs, might be doing it because it's a Triumph and felt like it.

Yes No Thank
OldEnoughToKnowBetter Avatar
OldEnoughToKnowBetter Douglas Marshall
St. Helens, OR, USA   USA
Sign in to contact
1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1976 MG MGB "R.E.D."
1979 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Lanchester"
You're a better man than I am, JT. I won't even open the bonnet on my Prius smiling smiley But the Spitty is FUN smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
kersplat J T
Sign in to contact
Har! Same here except for the basics. We take it to the dealer every 5k for oil changes. They always note down what it needs and my wife calls and asks me, yay or nay. This time it was trans oil change (yay) rear brake pads and spark plugs (nay) The plugs weren't much fun but the rear pads were a breeze.

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

or

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club
Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features
Your Cars
1962 Triumph TR4
Text Size
Larger Smaller
Reset Save