• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Still struggling with vallis

fz1ben

Hello all

A few months back I posted asking for help growing vallis in a cichlid tank. I followed the advice for all the helpful members on here. I added more vallis,let nitrate levels climb to 30ppm ish and lowered lighting. ... I also added aquarium plant food root capsules and have been dosing pro fito.

Well this is what it looks like now
20151120_155112_zps8fytmv9u.jpg

20151120_155129_zpsikbz9ymt.jpg

I know it's not the popular opinion but could this be to little light?

Thanks for any help

I have seen liquid carbon damage like this, appears to be sensitive to it. I had a BBA outbreak due to accidental food excess and dipped mine in dilute liquid carbon and it went like this...

I don't use liquid carbon Ian the fish are too sensitive to it...

Hi
Strangely enough vallisneria and Sagittarius do far better in enriched planted substrates!
They do even better with adding Co2.
They also do very well in matured inert substrate. ...mature being at least a year old!
If you have sand they will survive but not thrive as well as expected. ...you have added root tablets which will help!
If you have fish diggers they may compromise the added root tablets by dispersing them to non planted areas!
Regular water changes will help to keep the plants healthy!
Cheers hoggie

Last edited:
The tank is over a year old maybe 18 months now, I don't have any major diggers and the tank has 250ish l a week water changes. Do you think it's too little light? There is a aqua gro 600 strip above the plants set at 80% the tank is 2ft deep and thr light sits on the glass slider about 2" from the water surface

My vallis when small was nibbled by my clown loaches. They stripped out the center "juicy" bit. Much like your picture.

Removing the loaches cured the issue, vallis growing monster till almost wiped out by me liquid carbon dipping it.

Well.......... I have got about 10 eretmodus cyanostictus 2 adults and their young but I never see them eating it..... I do have a few mts snails in there but not many.

If they were getting eaten do you think something like anubias would fair better? If so which species do you recommend. ?

Hi all,
10 eretmodus cyanostictus 2 adults and their young
Fantastic, I've never kept hard-water cichlids, but I really like the look of these, and I believe they aren't the easiest to keep.

Because they are an aufwuchs feeder they may well be responsible. There is a list of plant possibilities here: <"Plants for African Cichlids">.

cheers Darrel

They are a wonderful species Darrell, it's taken me a long long time to get fry from wild parents.getting hold of f1s is very very rare nearly all the gobies in the hobby are wild caught and I think the stress of capture and shipping leaves them very susceptible to bloat.

I spoke with evert van ammelrooy at a recent presentation and he buys f1 gobies from a breeder in Slovakia!

Sorry for poor quality picture but you get the idea of how pretty they are
20150704_183110_zpsdkih7k0u.jpg
They are about 3 times the size now.

I've got a large java fern in the tank too that seems to be doing ok I may look at a narrow leave species to replace the vallis...... any other species you can think off that might do well?

I know a lot of "hard water" cichlid folks have great success with Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia. Supposedly even in plain sand enriched with root-tabs.
It's a huge Cryptocoryne, though, but if you wanted Vallisneria I suppose leaves floating in surface is not a problem.
Not the very easiest species to obtain, since it's difficult (read: hopeless !!) to produce commercially. It should be possible to find, though......
Ps - beautifull fish !!

Thanks mick.. looks a nice plant only problem I guess is finding some

Back