1. Peaceful
Compatibility with hard corals
  1. No Issues
Compatibility with soft corals
  1. No Issues
Compatibility with Invertabrates
  1. May eat small invertebrates
Feeding
Feed a mixture of good quality flake, pellet and frozen foods.
Diet
Carnivore
Origin (from Fishbase)
Indo-West Pacific: known at present only from Sri Lanka to Indonesia. Male Halichoeres nebulosus and Halichoeres margaritaceus have always been misidentified as Halichoeres kawarin, which may be responsible for attributing a greater range to this species.
That is a real stunner Haydn. Is it yours?

Lucky you! Are they particularly rare? I've never seen one before. Also, are they a shrimp/snail eater?

I understand they are only available via TMC. My LFS had one in which I liked, I did a bit of research which said they form harem groups. I asked if they could get more, he phoned TMC who had 2 more in, I ordered both. I took all three home:) after a bit of 'handbags' they have settled down as a group:D

I don't have shrimps so I can't comment, they have not predated any of my snails are far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Haydn. I am in the market for a Halichoeres or two, due to a flatworm invasion :(. I will research these lovely fish some more.

@Haydn , do you still have your three Timors?

No I lost the big male. The other two are fine though.

Sorry you lost one.

I bought one just over a year ago and its growth rate has been phenomenal. It has transissioned into a male and grown to be almost as big as my tangs in that space of time.

has it helped with flat worm problems?
I didn't find one in time to try. I did however add a Silver Belly wrasse and an Iridis wrasse. These two did not appear to eat flatworms though, and I ended up dosing Flatworm Exit which cleared the problem.

I've added this wrasse about 2-3 months ago due to a flatworm problem along with silver belly Timor seems to eat mine not seen silver belly eat them. so if anyone has a flatworm problem add one of them. how can you sex these fish anyone knows?

I've added this wrasse about 2-3 months ago due to a flatworm problem along with silver belly Timor seems to eat mine not seen silver belly eat them. so if anyone has a flatworm problem add one of them. how can you sex these fish anyone knows?

Quite easy to sex. There’s a distinct colour and pattern difference between the males and females.

Males are much fuller bodied and they take on a blue and pink colourstion, where the females remain keep the orange detail.

Female:

Starburst by Andy, on Flickr

Male:

Halichoeres timorensis 7-9-17 by Andy, on Flickr

Back