Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemone color change help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemone color change help?
    Posted: March 30 2005 at 4:15pm
This anemone started off white like the first pic but now it has become
greenish brown? Any clue why or if it means something is wrong? It has
been brown for like the last 2 months and still seems fine. Thanks for
any help. Sorry for the bad pics.

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 4:18pm
Thats a great sign most will never go back to that color i have one aswell
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 4:19pm
So it should be the green/brown?
Oh and do you work today?

Edited by MBX5

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 4:26pm
yeah thats awesome , it's a sign that it has regained it's zooxanthellae, the symbiotic algae that is needed for it's continued health. When they are pure white this is a sign that this zooxanthellae has left the animal.

zo·o·xan·thel·la   

Any of various yellow-green algae that live symbiotically within the cells of other organisms, such as those of certain radiolarians and marine invertebrates.

Edited by dmanshep
MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 4:32pm
cool thanks!

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 5:29pm
Joe- I had the same thing happen with my anemone.  As was stated, it is a good sign of the anemones health.  The thing that shocked me is the change process.  Mine looked as if it had algae growing on the outside of it.  As time progressed it was more and more evident that it was the zooanthella algae growing. 
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 11:21pm
That's funny - I was just wondering the same thing about mine.  I was assuming it was sick.  Show's what I know.
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:39am
It is time to start pretending that it is an maroon anemone
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:32am

"When they are pure white this is a sign that this zooxanthellae has left the animal."

Generally I would agree, but in these anemones I do not believe that this is true. A change in color IS associated with a change in the zooxanthellae, but the zooxanthellae can also take on different colors depending upon other conditions around it such as light, temperature, etc.

As an example...

Heteractis crispa or H. malu, Sebae anemone, Singapore anemone, pink-tipped (but not condylactis) anemone

Tentacles range from long and thin to short and fat depending on the condition of the anemone (short and fat usually means it is starting to waste away). Tentacles usually have magenta colored tips although yellowish-green tips are not uncommon. Colors can be dyed yellow, dyed pink, natural pink/purple, natural yellow, tan, but by far the most common is pure white. The oral disk may also have a green sheen under actinic light.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:39am

Carl,

Where is that quote from?

I have never seen a Sebae live for longer then a year in captivity without regaining (at least in my opinion) it's zooxanthellae and turning at least slightly brown.

Also I would like to know the reference to where zooxanthellae can change color in different conditions.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:39am
interesting , I would say there is a lot of merrit in the fact that zooxanthellae can change color. Hence looks at all this sps that looks one way in someones tank and then takes on a whole new look in another. I also feel that there is alot to be said about what someone might feed,

a good read about zooxanthellae if you have time

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/cw.htm
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

Where is that quote from?

Also I would like to know the reference to where zooxanthellae can change color in different conditions.

Jake, take a look at http://fins.actwin.com/species/anemone.html as one example.

I will also agree with you that it is often impossible or at least unlikely that they will survive in captivity. Now, whether or not these are already anemones in demise I cannot answer. Maybe it is assumed that a large number of anemones of a certain species were documented in demise and it was assumed that this white or almost transparent color is normal? I cannot explain this further. Perhaps I should have put a disclaimer up, "I have read that..."?

As for the color change in zooxanthellae, I picked that up from Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman I believe. If I have time, I will try to find the chapter.

But, if you think about it, the zoox. changes in many corals depending upon condition. Example, yellow cup corals will often turn brown if you increase their lighting exposure. Other corals may turn lighter if the temperature in the water changes. I have seen it... haven't you?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:58am

I'm with Jake.  All the zooxanthellae I've seen were brown as brown can be.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 12:39pm

AFAIK, all zooxanthellae is brown.  The colors seen in corals are due to photoactive pigments, not zooxanthellae.

Jake, take a look at http://fins.actwin.com/species/anemone.html as one example.

From that same source under "bad points" for the sebae:

Bad Points- No one I have spoken with, not even the public aquariums, can keep the white or yellow ones alive for more than 6-8 months. Out of the over 20 responses I received regarding sebaes only 2 anemones had stayed alive for over one year. Both of the anemones were tan in color either when purchased or had turned tan shortly there after. One thought is that sebae anemones may expel their symbiotic algae shortly after capture and when it is completely gone it is not easily replaced.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 2:18pm

[QUOTE=dmanshep]interesting , I would say there is a lot of merrit in the fact that zooxanthellae can change color. Hence looks at all this sps that looks one way in someones tank and then takes on a whole new look in another. I also feel that there is alot to be said about what someone might feed,

a good read about zooxanthellae if you have time

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2002/cw.htm[/QUOTE]

Even the article that you mention says that zooxanthellae is a golden brown algae.

I don't think the bright colors we see in SPS are the zooxanthellae, but I could be wrong.  Everything I have read says that zooxanthellae is brown, that is why I am interested in finding some type of literature that says differently.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:06pm
WOW thanks for all the info! I thought people would just say it is not
doing good and now I get all the good stuff! Hope it helps others also

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:00pm
I had a bubble tip that I wished would have stayed the pretty white with green tips but I knew once I put it in my tank that it would probably change color.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic