Art Deco ceramic vase id Help please....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Feb 2, 2021.

1. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I purchased this vase from France. It was one of a pair, but the other example was badly damaged and beyond repair. It carried the same number 08 (or 80) upon its base, but no other marks. This remaining example of the two is 9" high. (The bright-white colouration is caused by camera flash)

I have often wondered if the vases once formed a clock garniture set (such as those shown below) but although I do have a full set in ceramic in a different pattern it is also without any maker marks... I've added the set too as I'd also like some help with its maker if known to you please.

upload_2021-2-2_13-46-7.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-48-38.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-49-10.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-49-38.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-50-4.png

Attached Files:

judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. ritzyvintage

.... and this is the clock garniture, however it is not necessarily by the same maker?
    upload_2021-2-2_13-55-33.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-55-58.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-56-22.png

upload_2021-2-2_13-56-51.png

Attached Files:

johnnycb09, judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think so. That was usually the case at the time with those high, broad base vases.
    Nice vase, even without its mate and clock.

4. ritzyvintage

It may also account for the lack of decoration to the back of the vase?

5. Any Jewelry

Exactly.:)

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I can't tweak it, but I did turn it so the text is the right way up (I hope). Maybe ritzy can take a better photo, with some coca or cinnamon rubbed into the letters.

upload_2021-2-2_15-46-54.png

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The one is the ad states Majolique Wasmël. The seller is Ritzy. :bucktooth:

Any Jewelry and ritzyvintage like this.
  9. ritzyvintage

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think different maker than the single...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. ritzyvintage

Me too...

In hindsight I should have said: "I think it could be by..." There are always times when I'm not completely certain when I list items for sale. I may have a good idea, but good ideas are not 100% and I like to be accurate. My knowledge of pottery & ceramics is not good.

12. Any Jewelry

ritzyvintage likes this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I didn't notice that the listing was yours, but you said it was Wasmuel, based on what?
    Here is an interesting site, but I can't tell if it's still active:
    http://www.clockarium.org/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  14. ritzyvintage

I was told it could be by Wasmuel, but couldn't find another. I want second opinions or any info etc.

15. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

It’s airbrush and stencil decorated, known as “spritzdekor”. I have the book “Revolution Muster Spritzdekor-Keramik um 1930”, unfortunately it’s 2,000 miles away from where I am and it’s out of print so very expensive when you can find one.
    If you’re bored enough try searching google images for the same stencil design on another piece, might find the maker that way. This is a U.S. google search, you might try google.de.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=spritzdekor

Draft saved Draft deleted